Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Birchstone Investments, LLC (“BSI”) is a real estate investment and management firm located in Charlotte, North Carolina, that was created to bring together like-minded investors who want a vehicle for their money to work as hard as they do. BSI specializes in acquiring and operating multifamily assets that are undervalued or under-performing, targeting properties that promise both current operational income and robust capital appreciation in markets with positive demographics, strong submarket rent and occupancy growth.
Birchstone is primarily focused on assets located in the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic United States – areas that are enjoying renewed growth, with lucrative investment opportunities in certain areas. In addition, we periodically consider properties in other areas of the United States that meet our investment criteria.
No, Birchstone raises funds on a deal-by-deal basis.
We have taken this approach for two reasons. First, this makes it so that we are never forced to put money to work; we can be selective and only take advantage of investment opportunities that we believe truly offer attractive risk-adjusted returns. Secondly, it allows us flexibility over hold periods; we get the freedom to choose to exit an investment at a particular time that maximizes investment returns as opposed to having to wait until the end of the fund life.
Birchstone works primarily with accredited investors but will also accept sophisticated investors for some investment opportunities.
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) defines an accredited investor as someone who has either (1) a net worth that exceeds $1 million, excluding the value of their primary residence or (2) an annual income in excess of $200,000 (or $300,000 including spouse) for the last two years and expects that to be the case this year as well.
The minimum investment amount is $50,000, although this amount may vary from property to property.
You must consult with your own tax professional for specific tax advice. Some items to consider:
- Investors will receive a Schedule K1 reporting income or losses from the property.
- Investors are allocated depreciation expense that may be beneficial for tax purposes.
- Investors may be required to file additional state tax returns.
- If you haven’t done so already, please complete the Investor Questionnaire.
- After completing the IQQ, Birchstone will review the document and contact you.
- Once approved as an Investor, you will be granted access to Birchstone’s online investor portal. The investor portal is where you will find all applicable information about any open investment opportunities.